Re: Marx for Beginners

Rosa Graciela Montes (rmontes who-is-at mail.udlap.mx)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 06:13:29 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Paul Dillon wrote:

> Genevieve,
>
> I think Rius was behind the very informative, early work in textual
> deconstruction titled: Como leer a pato donaldo (How to read Donald Duck).
> Have you ever seen that one?

"Para leer al Pato Donald" is the work of Chilean critical sociologist
Andre (?) Mattelart. Rius is a Mexican, originlly a political cartoonist
who has written a number of books in comic book format on political and
social themes, mostly from a Latin American standpoint: Cuba Libre, La
Revolucioncita Mexicana, Los Dictaduros, La trukulenta historia del
Kapitalismo, Economia para Ignorantes.

The book you're thinking of by Rius [from the series "Los agachados" (the
powerless ones) ] is Juicio a Walt Disney in which he discusses northern
cultural penetration through little kids.

--Rosa Montes (Univ. Autonoma de Puebla)