Re: academic freedom & double think

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
7 Aug 1999 01:06:33 -0000

Paul, I am not surprised that you are familiar with Blake's Contrariness.

I actually meant to quote "one law for the lion and the ox is oppression."
My fingers & thoughts aren't in step these day...

But I agree with Kathryn: this is way beyond double think. And I thank her &
Jennifer & Phillip & Nate & Mary & Jay & everyone else who has spoken
eloquently & to the point on this issue.

Judy

At 02:21 PM 8/6/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Judy Diamondstone wrote:
>

>>Blake, precursor to Freud, would have had something to say on this matter.
>>
>>Following Blake, I say, since we're endowed w/ "binocular" vision -- we can
>>make meaning in more than one way -- maybe we can't make sense in a way
>that
>>makes sense unless we use it. Monocular vision skews us towards the
>excesses
>>of Urizen (Blake's old bearded fart in the clouds who lays down the law --
>>most familiarly depicted w/ a compass)
>>
>> Pronounce his name slow-ly...
>>

>Dogen, pronounce his name So-toe, would certainly have appreciated William
>Blake, even if the latter weren't a Muggletonian, as E.P. Thompson seems to
>imply. They both had a keen sense for woofing out hypocrisy as in the
>following by bard whose wife once gave him an empty plate for dinner since
>he had spent none of his time making a living, but only art (certainly one
>not to be concerned with such issues as tenure):
>
>"Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you."
>
>But Dogen, practicing His-own-zen, was compassionate when repeating the
>following advice:
>
>"Not to commit wrongs,
>To practice the many kinds of right
>Naturally purifies the mind;
>This is the teaching of the buddhas."
>
>- Shobogenzo (10) Shoaku-makusa
>
>Cheers,
>
>Paul H. Dillon
>
>p.s.
>
>I pronounce Urizen, Newton, or define him as the outward or bound
>circumference or Energy.

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183

Eternity is in love with the productions of time - Wm Blake