Re(2): academic freedom

Phillip White (Phillip_White who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 13:35:04 -0600

Paul H. Dillon writes:

>The law specifically doesn't protect the rights of any -ism but rather
>groups of individuals defined on the basis of a variety of cultural and
>genetic properties.
>
>Isn't the logic of claiming that BC's action partakes of (an by inference
>thereby is a part of) an anti-affirmative action climate a prime example
>of
>what George Orwell termed "double-think"?

what i've noticed, Mr Dillon, is how you continually narrow down the
discourse to the mythological black and white polarities - precisely
what mary and others have pointed out is so problematic in this issue of
academic / tenure / possibilities.

i guess you want to win what may look like to you as an argument that has
a right answer.

so you really believe that someone, once you've so neatly pointed it out,
is going to reply, "heavens above! how _right_ you are! i'm a prime
example of fascist thought so ablely put forth by george orwell. thank
you for pointing out my espistemological errors. i shall go home right
away and floss my thoughts!" ?

what a bad, bad boy you are! (;-) ..... stage whisper here: "Using
irony, here, folks!"

phillip