Re: double stimulation?

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
26 Jul 1999 16:47:41 -0000

Thank you Nate for the clarification. I don't know the studies you referred
to initially -- Do you remember which concepts were more likely to be
acquired as "everyday" notions for U.S. students & as school ones for
Russian students?

Regarding the U.S. - other English speaking countries contrast, insofar as
it is real, I agree w/ Sylvia that real & perceived power helps explain the
cavalier, 'do what I want' attitude (the giant's footstep). Decentralization
of school governance may be part of the picture too -- feeding into/fed by
that myth of the individual (person/district/state)... I suppose we in the
belly of the beast just have to sort out the costs/benefits of being born of
the bully.=20

Judy

At 05:28 AM 7/26/99 -0200, you wrote:
>Yes,
>
>I think I can understand what are u talking about... although I had=20
>never been in US.
>
>American culture, like a giant footstep, really scares all ants' work=20
>and life...=20
>
>Ricardo.
>Judy Diamondstone wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi, Riccardo. Thanks for the response. Yes, Vygotsky certainly emphasized
>> the dialectic between 'everyday' and 'scientific' -- the distinction=
between
>> kinds of concepts blurs right at the point where we can talk about
>> systematicity -- once we must rise to the concrete to "really"=
understand.
>>=20
>> However, I found Nate's comment interesting, that "<<with Russian=
students
>> the social context was different (more rigid) and those concepts did not
>> occur as everyday concepts">> and I was reaching, in my response to Nate,
>> for a way to describe what I perceive to be a characteristic of (many)=
U.S.
>> intellectuals as opposed to those in other English-speaking countries --=
>> kind of bricolage, a cavalier way with methods & theories (yeah, okay, I=
am
>> describing myself, but the same could be said of others on this list and=
is
>> less likely to pertain to academic writing from, say, Australia or=
Germany
> [...]
the
>> idea of the individual, or because of a long history of cross pollination=
of
>> multiple communities -- is "cross pollination" of different sociocultural
>> groups analogous to "standing on the shoulders of giants"? i.e.,=
immersing
>> oneself in the sensemaking orientation of others through their texts...
>>=20
>> idly speculating,
>> Judy
>>=20
>> "what is done by what is called myself is, I feel, done by something=
greater
>> than myself in me" -- James Clerk Maxwell
>>=20
>> At 08:06 PM 7/25/99 -0200, you wrote:
>> >Mrs. Diamondstone,
>> >
>> >Forgive-me if I intromiss myself in your conversation with...
>> >(Nate?)
>> >But, I'm very interested in this issue.

>> in their formation while the Russians' concepts more
>> >"scientific" & "rigid" that suggests that flexibility is a function of
>> >pre-scientific (in V's terms) concepts
>> >
>> >First,I understand that concepts formation, as in americans as in
>> >russians persons, is a process in which concrete (everyday) and abstract
>> >(scientific or social) concepts interact, dialetically.
>> >
>> >Second, that in Vygotsky's time there was not something like a
>> >prototipic and a theoric conception of concepts. So, although he had
>> >approached concepts understanding in a classical conception way, there
>> >are many interesting passages in his texts that point to a more flexible
>> >way of understanding them (paticularly when he refers to the difference
>> >between meaning and sense of words, to the coletive construction of
>> >meaning within a specific context)
>> >
>> >i.e., understandings that are more embedded in one's "own" sense-making
>> >are more available for use in more different settings and ways. Does
>> >that jibe with others' understanding of "flexibility" ? (I think it
>> >challenges the cognitive psychologists' view, no? - i.e., where
>> >"flexibility" is described in terms of functioning within a given
>> >conceptual system/ theory)
>> >
>> >Third, the 'double stimulation', as I know, had been used to observ
>> >hipotetic abstract concepts like "bik", "lag" - names
>> >arbitrarially attached to solid geometric group of figures. And it
>> >indeed was very helpfull to demostrate how since a "sincretic thinnking"
>> >children goes to "thinking in complex" and, finally, reach "conceptual
>> >or categorial thinking", and to point the main role of words in thinking
>> >process, and that a word meaning develops along ontog=EAnesis.
>> >
>> >To Vygotsky, I understand, social and everyday concepts were
>> >very interconnected one another: something like an up movement since the
>> >last ones and a down movement from the first.
>> >
>> >But, in fact, everyday concepts have a definitivelly concrete and
>> >touchible dimension on contrary to social ones.

Venger's

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352=09
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place =09