Re: double stimulation?

Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias who-is-at ibm.net)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:06:16 -0200

Mrs. Diamondstone,

Forgive-me if I intromiss myself in your conversation with...=20
(Nate?)
But, I'm very interested in this issue.

Judy Diamondstone wrote:>=20
> If Nate's memory serves & U.S. kids' understandings were more "everyday=
" in their formation while the Russians' concepts more=20
"scientific" & "rigid" that suggests that flexibility is a function of=20
pre-scientific (in V's terms) concepts=20

First,I understand that concepts formation, as in americans as in=20
russians persons, is a process in which concrete (everyday) and abstract=20
(scientific or social) concepts interact, dialetically.

Second, that in Vygotsky's time there was not something like a =20
prototipic and a theoric conception of concepts. So, although he had=20
approached concepts understanding in a classical conception way, there=20
are many interesting passages in his texts that point to a more flexible=20
way of understanding them (paticularly when he refers to the difference=20
between meaning and sense of words, to the coletive construction of=20
meaning within a specific context)

i.e., understandings that are more embedded in one's "own" sense-making=20
are more available for use in more different settings and ways. Does=20
that jibe with others' understanding of "flexibility" ? (I think it=20
challenges the cognitive psychologists' view, no? - i.e., where=20
"flexibility" is described in terms of functioning within a given=20
conceptual system/ theory)

Third, the 'double stimulation', as I know, had been used to observ =20
hipotetic abstract concepts like "bik", "lag" - names=20
arbitrarially attached to solid geometric group of figures. And it=20
indeed was very helpfull to demostrate how since a "sincretic thinnking"=20
children goes to "thinking in complex" and, finally, reach "conceptual=20
or categorial thinking", and to point the main role of words in thinking=20
process, and that a word meaning develops along ontog=EAnesis.

To Vygotsky, I understand, social and everyday concepts were=20
very interconnected one another: something like an up movement since the=20
last ones and a down movement from the first.

But, in fact, everyday concepts have a definitivelly concrete and=20
touchible dimension on contrary to social ones.=20