Re: reading and recycling

Molly Freeman (mollyfreeman who-is-at telis.org)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:38:34 -0700

To all who have been active in this most recent discussion, perhaps this
excerpt from Bonnie Litowitz in Cole, Engestrom, and Vasquez applies:

Ever since Bakhtin (1973, 1981), we take it as axiomatic that speech is
heteroglossic or polyphonic; that is, speech is dialogic wihtin itself.
We are born into a language and internalize speech that has a history;
it has
its sources in many voices from many dialogues, making our speech in
turn
equally multiple. ...Such a view makes every speech act not only
indirect but
contradictory and conflictual. (Litowitz, 1997, p.497).

Molly