Re: Help requested

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 23:08:42 -0500

Maybe the reason the quote stood out was while education does not change an
individual cognitive process associated with middle childhood, it seemed
what Vygotsky, Luria etc. argued with a functional systems approach was
that the relationship between cognitive processes were transformed.
Personally, I don't know if I have ever seen an individual cognitive
process in action as with reading it seems to be part of a functional
system.

Reading would appear to be a system in which various cognitive processes
come together which as a system would have more depth and generalizability.
I would assume the same would be true with activities in other cultural
activities such as making pottery, or the taxicab example Mike discusses in
*Cultural Psychology*. As the Gee articles that I have read lately mention
such functional systems (not his words) would include affective components
such as motivation, identification etc. He saw this in terms of discourse
and the New Litracy as he called it that relied heavily on sociocultural
(Lave, Wenger, Cole, Scribner, Wells, Wertsch etc) approaches to literacy.

Maybe Gee's citations are out of context but it would assume that
acquireing a discourse comes when a "community of practice" which would
include cognitive processes that are typical of middle childhood are in a
particular functional system. While it would be fair to say that education
has not functioned as such a system, I am not sure I would write off the
notion of schooling not being able to change cognitive processes in a deep
and general way within such a system. When those processes are in such a
system they are transformed - become more complex and are more likely to be
generalizeable. Gee makes such an argument in reference to reading if we
want students to be "readers" rather than just passing "reading tests".

Nate