Re(2): a comment from Wertsch

Gordon Wells (gwells who-is-at oise.utoronto.ca)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:40:55 -0400

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu (Eva) writes:
> but
>also cannot help but
>think that the perspectives we are afflicted with also derive from what
>parts of the unkempt forests of literature we have traversed and where in
>those forests we have made ourselves at home and planted our own sprigs:

I'm sure you're right, Eva. But I had always thought that to be a
necessary implication of the theory itself. We each have our own unique
and somewhat idiosyncratic trajectories. I like Gunther Kress's (1997)
point that, in making meaning with and through signs of various kinds,
people - old as well as young - act out of their current interest and put
to use in sign-making whatever is to hand.

Gordon Wells
OISE/UT