Re: new language

Angel Lin (ENANGEL who-is-at cityu.edu.hk)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:24:46 +0800

Maria and Nate,

Just another ref. on this topic: Natasha Lvovich's The Multilingual Self: An inquiry into language learning. (1997). Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. Natasha is a very gifted language learner who has learnt 3 or 4 languages (Russian, Yiddish, French, Italian, English). She is a "synesthete"--having the ability to see words in different colors and shapes in her mind. I suppose Maria is interested in "intelligence, brain development" and multiple language learning. What I find interesting about Natasha's approach is that her story of language learning is not just one of brain development but also one of searching for her self--a multilingual and hybrid identity.

Best,

Angel

At 05:56 AM 5/27/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I was referring to a short article by Vera,

>A Functional Systems Approach to Concept Development

>Vera John Steiner, Teresea M. Meechen, and Holbrook Mahn.

>Mind, Culture and Activity Volume 5, Number 2 1998

>ISSN 1074-9039

>In this article she references others such as,

>John - Steiner(1985) The Road to Competance in an Alian Land: A Vygotskian

>perspective on bilingualism. In J.V. Wertsch (ed) Culture, Communication,

>and Cognition: Vygotskian Perspectives. (pp. 348-371). Cambridge

>University Press.

>I remember awhile ago seeing an article by Gordon in reference to Vygotsky

>and second language, but can't find the reference. Gordon's list of

>publication are at the following url.

>http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/~gwells/Pubs.html

>Nate

Angel Lin, <italic>Ph.D.(Toronto)

</italic>Assistant Professor

Department of English

City University of Hong Kong

Tat Chee Ave., Kowloon, Hong Kong

Fax: (852) 2788-8894; phone: (852) 2788-8122

E-Mail: enangel who-is-at cityu.edu.hk