Re: uzi yr words

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 21:17:51 -0500

An interesting cross-cultural tidbit is one of the chapter's in Foucault's
challenge discusses the "use your own words script" in reference to
Japanese and American parents and teachers. While the American's so it as
very "child centered", the Japenese saw it very teacher directed. The
argument was that the teacher were invading the child's inner most
feelings.

My concern with "use your words" is more cultural in that there are variety
of ways in which to express likes/dislikes that are not violent, but we
seem to privledge the verbal to a greater extent. When I did my internship
we had alot children from Taiwain in which a more non-verbal form of
expression / communication is valued. While in itself there is nothing
wrong with "use your own words" it is often used in the context of other
forms of communication being negated and not being respected.

At times, in seeing the practice in action I have gotton the feeling of it
being a practice of blaming the victim, but I have also seen it work
successfully in the other way. For me, the joint activity that Linda
discusses is very important for it to be used successfully. I have also
seen particular children thrive on the child-child conferences and use it
as a technology of power. One child in particular whenever someone
disagreed demanded some sort of conference. It seems it often becomes one
of those robotized things that end up losing its context. It becomes more
of a game as in this is what the teacher wants us to do so lets put on a
good show.

In reference to conflict resolution some of the most successful approaches
I have seen have been peer to peer mediation. Resolution with only the two
parties in the conflict tend to intensify the situation or one ends up
dominating the discussion. Mediation with peers seems to work because its
away for one not directly involved in the conflict to translate/ mediate
each others concerns. Also, in Schools for Growth, the Barbara Taylor
school I believe, there is a strong emphasis on not having it be a personal
problem, but a group one. Two children in a conflict effect the whole
group or class so that where the resolution takes place. The
successfulness of such an approach may be in contrast to being organized
around a conflict between two students it is placed in reference to the
goal of the community itself, creating a safe place for children to develop
and learn.

Nate