RE: Expert and novice: Tales for 5th Dim

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at udel.edu)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:05:45 -0400

Hi everybody--

Rachel wrote,

> Another example could be the taboo on touching students which is now
> accepted even in kindergarten, although touch is one of the most powerful
> forms of interpersonal communication, particularly for younger,
> less-verbal children. If there's the least possibility that the teacher
> might do something to get the institution in trouble the blanket
> prohibition is put into effect.

I saw in Delaware public elementary schools black boys are often punished
for "touching" other students. My colleague from Spain Pilar Lacasa
recently visited Delaware classrooms with me and was very surprised with
this "no touching" policy. I think it is especially difficult for Latin and
African-American cultures.

Also we found that it is a much bigger issue for male preservice teachers
(very few that we have). "No touching" policy is much less severe for
female teachers than for male.

I absolutely agree with Rachel that young kids even from white middle-class
mainstream communities ask for teacher's close contact and expect it from
the teacher. Child abuse paranoia the US gets it toll on human
communication.

Eugene