RE: Campaign Against Public Schools

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sun, 30 May 1999 16:45:41 -0400

Hi everybody--

Sorry for slow reading -- I was black out by intensive (and rather pleasant
this semester!) work with my students on their final projects of their
choice.

I read Bonnie's message and found myself agreeing with everything except the
conclusion. Schools nicely serve economies all over the world -- this is the
problem for me, not satisfaction of the results. Somebody should do poetry
in our (US) society -- and "we" got poets (not too many but enough to have a
"healthy" competition for piece of rather small pie -- although bigger than
in many other places!), somebody should build nuclear weapons --
surprise-surprise "we" have quite a few of them. Somebody need to deliver
pizza -- what a minute there they are, ready and assured that they can't do
anything else.... When there is more demands from economy -- there will be
more "success" in schools, when there are less specific workplaces -- sorry,
"we" should be tough to prepare "kids" better to cruelty of competition
(meaning we should fail more in school). I wonder if we can apply
Piaget's notions of assimilation, accommodation, and drive for the
equilibrium for this process :-) :-(

What do you think?

Eugene