Re: Dolly the Sheep is Dying

Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob who-is-at btinternet.com)
Sat, 29 May 1999 19:07:11 +0100

> For me the lesson to be learned about the cells in Dolly's body is that it
> is a good example of ignorance of dialectical materialism: the
geneticists
> do not try to look for and understand the fundamental contradictions of
> change (growth and development), treating the "gene" and the cell as
though
> they are unconnected, independent and not related to the organism and
the
> world in which the organism lives. The need for Vygotsky and xmca
> (activity theory people) to become literate in molecular genetics and the
> relation to behavioral development is great if we are to be able to guard
> against the misuse of genetics in educational and other societal policies.
> Ethel

Steven Rose's latest splendidly dialectical book 'Lifelines' contains two
polemics (a) against genetic determinism, which he says is based on wrong
science; (b) against what he calls 'Universal Darwinism' (Dawkins and co).
As usual with Rose's books there's quite a lot of philosophy, reflections on
the practice of science and social critique all from a Marxist viewpoint.
And I could understand it without ever having studied biology even in
school, let alone 'become literate in molecular genetics'...

Bruce Robinson