Re: the calculus wars

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:48:11 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Timothy Koschmann <tkoschmann who-is-at acm.org>
To: <xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: the calculus wars

> This is great stuff, Nate. Where did you find it?

http://www.bestpraceduc.org/

In general, I see the Socratic method as an attempt to escape the overly
dualistic way in which american education is usually framed. Viewing the
PBL site they seem to definately see themselves in those appossitional
terms in relation to a teacher directed classroom. I tend to go in the
direction of avoiding such clear appositions and rather talk of the mutual
transformations in an activity of teacher and students.

Another difference I saw was the differentiation of making practice theory
in contrast to having theory as a lense in which to view practice. The
Arkansas example is one in which the scientific method and theoretical
concepts are used to view and understand practice, and from the PBL site I
did not sense that emphasis. It seemed more focused on the everyday
experience to concept? model in contrast to a more dialectical interaction
and transformation, at least that was my impression.

Nate