Re: Application Principles and AT Analysis (Help Needed!)

Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob who-is-at btinternet.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:42:30 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Skinner <Rob.Skinner who-is-at suffolk.ac.uk>
To: <xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: 21 May 1999 11:06
Subject: Application Principles and AT Analysis (Help Needed!)

> People: Because of my extreme arrogance I applied for a short term
> research fellowship with a view to doing some work on Ubiquitous
> Computing, Information Appliances and the consideration of appropriate
> development paradigms using Activity Theory as a basis. Beware of what
> you wish for it can often turn around and bite you in the arse. As you
> may have guessed by now I was successful in my attempt to throw my self
> in the deep end.
>
> HELP: I am looking for references that I can use to try to work out a
> process for applying activity theory.
> ROB SKINNER

Are you familiar with the work of Kari Kuutti, Suzanne Bodker and others in
the Scandinavian IS tradition who have done work on AT and systems
development, plus the book edited by Bonnie Nardi (who may be lurking here
somewhere) 'Context and Consciousness'?

I'd be interested to know a bit more about your project and where you're
doing it - I don't think there are many people in the UK who are interested
in AT in this context and there's a lot of interesting things that could be
done.

Bruce Robinson