RE: Print-literacy, oral literacy, and critical thinking

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Thu, 20 May 1999 13:43:27 -0400

Hi everybody--

Phil wrote,
>But what print literacy allows is organization
> across vast tracts of space _and_ time (oral literacy only usually manges
> control over people through time, but not through very much space; hence
> their localised nature). It's not my intention to denigrate oral
> traditions
> but to emphasise the enormous control that can be exercised by small and
> powerful groups by combining print with electric communication
> technologies.

I the Soviet Union the feedom of speech existed in the form of oral literacy
of joke telling (with anonymity of the authors). The jokes spread very
quickly in the vast territory of the USSR in a few days without use of
press, or Internet, or phone by ways of mouth. I'd not also assume that
oral literacry can be easily controlled (KGB tried) or very stable is a
sense that Phil wrote,
> Oral traditions (ie verse,
> myth, anything with theme, rythm, but not necessarily with fixed content)
> are literacies (which are technologies and mechanisms for social
> control/reproduction).

It has very improvizational and democratic character. It can be very
critical. It give individuals "narrative weapons" at hand. One thing I
feel lost in US is constant reference to jokes. In the US there is no
common culture of oral literacy as it was in the USSR.

I think it may be very difficult to appreciate oral literacy without
expereincing it yourself especially when we have well established narratives
of devaluing it from the past.

What do you think?

Eugene