Re: about public school

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Wed, 19 May 1999 17:13:15 -0500

To whom it concerns,

As the old saying goes curiousity killed the cat, of course I could not
resist seeing the firework display. I have successfully killed the sucker,
and below is a description of the virus and instructions for killing it.
As the message mentions servers are at a particular risk, so that maybe is
something that needs consideration.

Nate

What is the Happy99 Internet Worm?

Happy99.exe was first identified around mid-January and is now traveling
across the Internet via e-mail attachments and newsgroup postings.

The worm modifies e-mails and newsgroup postings by adding unauthorized
attachments without the computer user's knowledge. As a side-effect, it can
also create network slowdowns and, in a worst-case scenario, even crash
corporate e-mail servers.

While the computer worm does not destroy or alter files or otherwise
cripple computers and networks, it creates a time- and energy-consuming
nuisance to network administrators.

The computer worm works on Windows 95 and 98 platforms.

Happy99.exe is classified as a computer worm for its ability for
self-replication. It arrives to a computer via an e-mail or newsgroup
attachment, infecting machines that run the attachment. If the computer
user runs the unauthorized attachment, Happy99.exe puts up an attractive
fireworks display, which the computer user might mistake for a good-looking
accessory to the message.

However, while the fireworks burst on-screen, the computer worm modifies
the winsock32.dll file in order to monitor what e-mails and postings are
made from the machine. All Internet access goes through the wsock32.dll
file.

Afterwards, Happy99.exe spams the newsgroup or e-mail recipient with copies
of itself any time the computer user tries to send a message across
cyberspace.
REMOVING THE HAPPY99.EXE VIRUS

Steps marked optional are not absolutely necessary and are completely safe
to skip if you want to.

1. Click Start, then Shut Down, then "Restart Computer in MS-DOS mode",
then click Yes.

2. At the DOS prompt type this exactly and press enter at the end of each
line:

CD \WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Thereafter your DOS prompt should say: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
If your Windows folder is not called WINDOWS then substitute the name of
your Windows folder instead, for example:
CD \WIN95\SYSTEM

3. Delete SKA.EXE and SKA.DLL by typing
DEL SKA.EXE DEL SKA.DLL
If you get "File not found" you're either not infected or in the wrong
directory. Make sure you're in your Windows System directory; check to see
if you followed step 2 exactly.

4. Copy WSOCK32.SKA to WSOCK32.DLL by typing
COPY WSOCK32.SKA WSOCK32.DLL
Answer "Yes" if it asks if you want to overwrite WSOCK32.DLL. Explanation:
WSOCK32.SKA is a backup of the original WSOCK32.DLL made by the virus. You
are replacing the modified DLL with the original.

5. Optional
Delete WSOCK32.SKA by typing DEL WSOCK32.SKA You can leave WSOCK32.SKA on
your system. It is a copy of your original WSOCK32.DLL

6. Return to Windows by typing EXIT

7. Optional
Click Start Button, then Run, then type regedit in the text box, then click
OK. Now click the following in order: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
then Software,
then Microsoft,
then Windows,
then CurrentVersion.
Under RunOnce check for SKA.EXE and select it if it is there. Press delete
and then click Yes. Close Regedit.
Don't change anything else without making a backup of the registry first.
If you don't find SKA.EXE in the registry, it doesn't mean you're not
infected. SKA.EXE is only added to the registry if HAPPY99.EXE is unable to
modify WSOCK32.DLL when you run it.

8. Optional
Choose Start, Programs, Accessories, Notepad, choose File, then Open then
type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LISTE.SKA in the File Name box. Warn the people on
the list, then delete LISTE.SKA.