RE: Campaign Against Public Schools

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Wed, 19 May 1999 13:53:43 -0400

Hi Matvey, Nate and everybody--

Matvey wrote,

> I do not think that my situation is unique. There are many
> parents who have
> an idea what they want their kids to be taught and who are doing simila=
> things as we do. There is no doubt that parents' visions are very diver=
se.
> Those who have close ideas could have organized schools provided the
> government gives back the tax money for this and provides support for
> independent school movement (like continuous training for the teachers,
> educational materials, etc). Who is against it?

Recently my colleagues and I discuss an interesting issue of whose agents
the teachers are. It is very clear that a physician is an agent of patie=
nt
working on his/her behalf to improve the patient's health and well-being
(doctor Kauvorgian is a very interesting case in this sense of being
patient's agent in helping them to die). Lawyers are agents of their
clients. It does not mean that doctors and lawyers do not have other
obligations over other participants and agencies (e.g., insurance compani=
es,
courts). However, many societies recognize that their priorities and
special privileges and rights of being agents. There is no such thing fo=
teachers. California chain of anti-immigrant propositions suggests that
teachers are state agents in public schools and should prioritize state
interests over any others. It also came out in my class for preservice
teachers recently when one student suggest that we should stop "bashing"
testing and stop discussing harm of testing for students because state
requires it anyway and teachers are state employees in public schools.

I wonder is teachers are agents of students or to be precise, they should=
be
agents of students and recognize as such by the society. The teacher can=
't
(shouldn't) report on a student to INS even if a law requires other citiz=
ens
to do that because of her/his professional commitment. Unfortunately, th=
is
professional commitment of teacher to a student is not recognized by the
society and is not supported by a law.

If we accept this premise, I will side myself with Matvey and not with Na=
te
on the issue of special role of parents in deciding students' education
especially for young kids. Nate is right listing many stakeholders in
education. However, it is often parents who are ombudsmen (or should it =
be
"ombudspersons") for their young children and recognized by the society a=
such. The issue of voice of a young child in adult-dominated communities=
is
very important (thanks Jay for raising this issue in your many postings i=
past) -- who is taking on child's behalf. So far, parents are often the
highest particularity for their young children in their lives. When
children become older they can reclaim their voice to speak fully for
themselves and, thus, teachers can deal directly with voices of students =
as
they agents.

What do you think?

Eugene