Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

Matvey Sokolovsky (sokolovs who-is-at uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Tue, 18 May 1999 20:38:24 -0400

At 05:35 PM 5/16/1999 -0700, Kenneth S. Goodman wrote:

Today's North American teachers are the most
>professional, the most knowledgeable, the most effective teachers the
>world has ever known.=20

It's pretty paradoxical that honoring North American teachers may sound
extremely offensive, but it is for me. I graduated from the School # 57 in
Moscow, and I don't think there are many of its graduates who are not proud
of the school. I don't think that Iran's math high school team who are the
strongest in the world now (as far as I know) think that they are trained
by second class teachers. It is hard to believe that Chinese students that
are present in the US Universities in such high numbers were able to master
sciences and English from ineffective teachers (by the way, I was not able
to find any school locally where Chinese is studied). Programmers from
India that work in the US are probably unaware of the deficiencies of their
school education. Etc.

My emotional response against supporting the campaign for public schools
was one of the messages that sparked this discussion. I send my kids to a
private school, and I like the school a lot. I clearly prefer it to our
local public school that is considered to be one of the best. I am unhappy,
however, that I have to pay 1/3 of my family income for their education
when I also pay for education of other kids. Though I like the school, it
doesn't cover all the areas of education I want for my kids, so I
complement this with extra classes; plus I cover some areas myself with my
kids.

I do not think that my situation is unique. There are many parents who have
an idea what they want their kids to be taught and who are doing similar
things as we do. There is no doubt that parents' visions are very diverse.
Those who have close ideas could have organized schools provided the
government gives back the tax money for this and provides support for
independent school movement (like continuous training for the teachers,
educational materials, etc). Who is against it?

State bureaucracy is an easy target but probably a scapegoat -- they will
be needed anyway and will receive their salaries.

Money managers? It looks like that 25,000 student schools may teach math
price-effectively (though less efficiently than 25,000 student classes) but
transportation, security, student funerals, and superintendent's salaries
may be cut. Plus I hardly agree that education is about money (furthermore,
private schools are hardly the bast way to get profit). I think money
managers would not starve and find their way to survive. I am not afraid
for them.

Professors in Schools of Education? Hardly. A more developed and
diversified system of education would increase the need in teachers, raise
requirements and allow more creativity for university training.=20

Underprivileged students? This looks like a bad joke.

I see only two possible answers.

On a psychological level, the struggle against vouchers is a struggle for
power, opportunity to abuse it and dictate everyone around how to behave.

On a socio-economic level=85 I completely agree with Kenneth Goodman that
Today's North American teachers are the most professional, the most
knowledgeable, the most effective teachers the world has ever known. In a
different sense though (I guess). Unfortunately, many teachers are a part
of the reproduction of the society of mass consumption. I am positive there
are many people interested that kids are trained well to spend time in
McDonalds, watch soap operas, browse malls, click buttons on computers,
etc. these people place tremendous pressure on how education system should
work. And they do succeed. Honestly, their influence is the major threat I
try to avoid in the schools I visited before I found the one I liked. And I
am really pessimistic that a struggle of several people has a realistic
chance to change the society in the timeframe of my kids schooling.

It is also interesting that the whole discussion has shifted to very
general issues of social politics. I think it is a way to avoid a very
local question that parent face summerly -- how to find a appropriate place
for their kids.

As for "the best in he world"=85 Well, I wish US would not use its money to
starve Iraqi children and bomb Yugoslavia. There is a chance for the
education system to improve because there are many devoted people involved.

P.s. please note that I never said that I suggest eliminating public schools=
=20

Matvey Sokolovsky