Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

Diane HODGES (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:13:54 -0800

At 22:11 5/17/99, nate wrote:

>> Nate makes some good points about the balance between discourses of
>public
>> accountability and those of individual choice.

some of nat's response [i.e. snipping]:

>Public education in contrast
>to choice and vulgar individualism, whatever its form, implies a societal
>responsibility that is so needed today. Mass production gave people steady
>jobs, a good union, security etc. in which many would gladly take back in
>place of customized production. While we need to acknowledge the economic
>sphere we ought not become it. It seems to me customized production in the
>economic sphere makes a rather strong argument for the need for strong
>public education in the social sphere.

nate -

there is no way that i can see any schooling structure NOT being determined
by the economic, and so turning to customization as a probability, what
can we do with it that is transgressive?
we decentralize - de-institutionalize - begin the work of integrating
child and adult lives more, speaking of accountability and social
responsibility, surely the inclusion of children in social life is
one way to encourage us all to behave.

abolish compulsory schooling, damn the false public/private diversion and
start writing policy that outlines the ethics of the inevitable
customization and decentralization of "schooling" -

start up funding tba
ha ha
diane

""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""
When she walks,
the revolution's coming.
In her hips, there's revolution.
When she talks, I hear revolution.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution.
(poem by Kathleen Hanna: Riot Grrl)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia
faculty of graduate studies,
centre for the study of curriculum and instruction,
vancouver, british columbia, canada