Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias who-is-at ibm.net)
Fri, 14 May 1999 21:10:09 -0200

Ken Goodman wrote:

> In most of the world, particularly the third world, education is
> stratified. Anybody with any means sends their kids to private schools
> often ethnic or religious. The working poor send their kids to public
> schools- essentially pauper schools. And the not working poor either
> have no schools or schools so minimal as to be little more than nothing.
> All this is being made worse by the IMF and World Bank.

Public education is as good as we make it- and the alternative
> is unacceptable.
>
> Ken, there's something it must be say on public schools in Latin America

The best Universities and Colleges are public. But, only the rich/high
middle class students can access them. Because there is a very hard
selection called "Vestibular". Only teens and people that had studied in
private schools can "pass" that exame. Because public schools
(elementary/high school) do not offer good conditions for students get
into Universities, in general. Rich people pay for elementary/high
school education, and college/universities studies are payed by State to
their sons and daughters...