Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

Martin Ryder (mryder who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Fri, 14 May 1999 10:14:27 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 14 May 1999 MDLedoux who-is-at aol.com wrote:

> Vouchers may not be the answer. Then again, they may cause the demise of the
> public education structure as we know it. None of us seem very happy with
> "business as usual." Maybe beginning over would be advantageous.

Michael,

Whose kids would you like to forgo their education while we begin
to rebuild this 150-year old institution from scratch. Children of
parents with means have never done without education, even prior to the
fledgling public school experiments of the post Civil War era. By giving
in to the reactionary cries to euthanise our ailing system of public
education, we appease the privileged and betray the powerless.
Ultimately we betray ourselves by openly accepting mass illiteracy
at this most inopportune moment when the larger mass of productive workers
are contributing to a postmodern economy not with plows and shovels but
with words and numbers.

Martin R.