Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

Diane HODGES (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Thu, 13 May 1999 19:47:59 -0800

At 8:04 5/14/99, MDLedoux who-is-at aol.com wrote:

>If we are attempting to strengthen school culture and build upon the cultural
>strengths of individuals, shouldn't there be support of attempts at schooling
>that enhances these areas of learning?

what i am not hearing in this discussion are notions of
epistemology or the cultivation of critical social conscience or
any kind of "what is education for?" ideas beyond the

acceptance of "school" as cultural - and "school" is certainly
the problematic manifestation of "education" - so what

are other cultural manifestations of education and its relations
to knowledge and conscience? that is, if the issue is about "schools" as
failed institutions, then private/public domains are not

the issue; but rather what is education for? is the question, isn't it?
diane

""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""
When she walks,
the revolution's coming.
In her hips, there's revolution.
When she talks, I hear revolution.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution.
(poem by Kathleen Hanna: Riot Grrl)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia
centre for the study of curriculum and knowledge
vancouver, british columbia, canada