Re: Kids Can Now E-Mail Tips On Their Violent Peers

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 6 May 1999 19:01:43 -0500

I recently read an article, "New Schools for New Times? Notes Toward of
Sociology of Recent Educational Reform" by Geoff Whitty, Sharon Gewirtz,
and Tony Edwards. What is so interesting about the article is it
approaches the discussion of choice in U.K. and the U.S. as an hybridity of
sorts. For example, the reforms in the U.K. are being legitimized by the
Chubb and Moe team in the U.S. and Chubb and Moe and the school choice
research in Milwaukee is given legitimization in the U.S. citing the
overwelming success of privitation in the U.K. I believe Australia and
Germany are also cited for their assistance in this hybridity of a
discourse. Isn't it nice we are all working together so nicely :)

The article is/ will be part of a book coming out in 2000.

Educational Knowledge : Changing Relationships Between the State, Civil
Society, and the Educational Community (Suny Series, Frontiers in
Education)
Thomas S. Popkewitz(Editor) / Hardcover / Published 2000
(Not Yet Published)

Nate