Re: What is praxis? (fwd)

Kwang-Su Cho (ksthink who-is-at psylab.yonsei.ac.kr)
Thu, 6 May 1999 07:01:25 +0900 (KST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:04:35 +1000
From: Martin Ellison <mellison who-is-at sba.com.au>
To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
Cc: Kwang-Su Cho <ksthink who-is-at psylab.yonsei.ac.kr>
Subject: Re: What is praxis?

Kwang-Su,
This may bounce from XMCA as I am sending from another account other than my
usual one (martin who-is-at mpce.mq.edu.au), so I am copying you direct. You might
consider copying this to XMCA if it doesn't appear.

'Praxis' is an ancient Greek word from the root 'prakt-' to do or make. It
is a verbal noun and corresponds roughly to the English 'doing'. If you want
all the details, look at
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?lookup=pra%3Dcis&author=*2.0&l
ang=Greek&corpus=2.0

As I understand, it is a synonym of 'activity'.