Re: What is praxis?

Christian Sebastian (csebasti who-is-at puc.cl)
Tue, 04 May 1999 12:27:29 -0600

I know the same context of utilization of "praxis" Diane has mentioned: the
work of Paulo Freire. Like other core concepts of freirian theory, the
first analysis of the liberatory mean of the word is made by Freire in his
"Pedagog=EDa del oprimido" (I think that there is a translation with a title
like this: "Pedagogy of the opressed"... or something else).

I want to add only one aditional issue to the ideas developed by Diane. For
Freire, the "praxis" is the dialectic sinthesys of action and reflection.
Inside a liberatory practice (tied to the "political act of critical
self-interrogation" that Diane wrote) there is a circle of influences
between action and reflection: each one motivates, demands the other,
movilizes it. The global process of knowing (collectively) the world
depends on this circle: when it stops the world is petrified for the
opression and the social categories lost their flexibility.=20

Due to his dependence of reflection (as I have mentioned above), the
"praxis" is only a "human praxis". Freire says that the animals are beings
of the action (in some kind, of the practice), but the proper place of the
human being is the "praxis". I think that this idea is very close to the
work of Vygotsky, specially in the context of the diferences between upper
psychological processes and lower psychological proceses. The formers, that
are characteristics of human beings, can be recognized precisely by the
reflective control that the person exercises over them.

I know that this notion of "praxis" is rooted directly in the works of Karl
Marx, but I can't to offer you precise references.

I hope these little notes will be useful.

Christian Sebastian B.

Psychology Department
Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile

P.S.: I beg your pardon for my english. I know it is horrible, but i like
very much the theme of the praxis...