Re: columbine high school

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:32:46 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Ricardo Ottoni wrote:

> I think there is not only one truth. "there are many objects in an=20
> object", as had said Bertold Brecht. So, I believe, the most important=20
> thing at all is to discuss it... consider it as a "pr=E9-texto"=20
> (previous-text?) to approach violence in ocidental urbanized=20
> societies... and participate of a construction of meaning/sense...
> maybe from its discussion in many levels and since many different=20
> perspectives and points of view can be possible "watch" or visualize any=
=20
> possible solutions/inquiries come to surface...

=09Ricardo - i like this quote of yours a lot - and like you i
have learned a great deal from the discussions here on XMCA. and it has
been especially helpful for me to hear the multiple voices of our planet.
thank your.

=09one of the strengths of XMCA has been its willingness to discuss
and put out ideas (even -half-baked ones like mine are accepted).
>=20
> I have learned a lot from this discussion forum.

=09yeah! me too. in fact, half of my professional library is now
made up of texts centered in activity theory.
=20
=09i think it interesting that Brazilian media has emphasized the
neo-nazi aspect - particularly in the face of their own violence as you
have described it. perhaps it is a way of distancing themselves from the
violence, as if to say that it can't happen in Brazil.

=09phillip =20

phillip white pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu

=09=09A relation of surveillance, defined and regulated,
=09is inscribed at the heart of the practice of teaching, not
=09as an additional or adjacent part, but as a mechanism that
=09is inherent to it and which increases its efficiency.

=09=09=09=09Michel Foucault / Discipline & Punish

=09