Re: Krupskaya

Diane HODGES (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:58:15 -0800

At 13:56 4/21/99, nate wrote:
>Rather than making such horrid actions pathlogical, I would rather see it
>as an opportunity to look at what it is about our schools/society that make
>such actions possible. Personally. I have a difficult time with the logic
>that if we make schools more like prisons, lie dedectors, security guards,
>our schools will become a safer place to learn. But this is from someone
>who working at a gas station tried to counsel someone out of robbing him.

thank you nate - i have been quite disturbed by the emphasis on mental
health and youth, and the insinuation that the issues of racism
are not important because these two kids are so mentally unstable...
talk about pathologizing; criminalizing is the other response that
renders the individualizing work of mental illness complete: they are
crazy and dangerous,
but it's only them.

makes me a little nauseous, actually. my condolences to anyone
who is being effected/affected by this tragedy.
diane

""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""
When she walks,
the revolution's coming.
In her hips, there's revolution.
When she talks, I hear revolution.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution.
(poem by Kathleen Hanna: Riot Grrl)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia
centre for the study of curriculum and knowledge
vancouver, british columbia, canada