Re: Krupskaya

Kathryn_Alexander who-is-at sfu.ca
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:50:26 -0800

=46urther to this I also recommend anything by Francisco J. Carrasco
Iba=F1ez, a doctoral candidate at Simon Fraser University. Francisco has
written extensively on AIDS, safe sex discourses cross cultural queer
identity, his MA thesis was titled "An ethnographic cross-cultural
exploration of the translations between the official safe sex discourse and
lived experiences of men who have sex with men" which he wrote from a
Chilean/Canadian perspective. His work is cited by Patti Lather/Chris
Smithies, 1997 in her "Troubling the Angels: Women Living with HIV/AIDS

>On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Ricardo Ottoni wrote:
>
>> To ancient greeks and some african tribes (even urban tribes)show us
>> that sexualitty is much more cultural than biological.
>>
>> We must not forget that frogs and street dogs have homossexual relations
>> very frequently, without any shame.
>>
>> Shame to have homossexual relations/feelings and to be homossexual is
>> culturally determined.
>
> Ricardo, these comments, along with Mike's earlier question about
>forms of resistance ..... have brought to mind several texts that i've
>read within the last few months.
>
> "The women" - Hilton Als, 1996, Noonday Press. Als describes his
>journey/path/trajectory/progess in becoming a Negress. "Being an auntie
>man enamored of Negressity is all I have ever known to be." Als' story is
>one of multiple forms of resistance to a wide variety of
>ethnic/racial/socio-economic norms.
>
> "Saying no to a man" - Susan Krieger, in "The family silver;
>essays on relationships among women" 1996, University of California Press.
>in this text, Krieger's multiple ways of resistance are primarily
>practiced in academe - as lesbian, feminist & separatist -
>
> "Mema's house, Mexico city; On transvestites, queens and machos" -
>Annick Prieur. 1998. University of Chicago Press. A student of Pierre
>Bourdieu, Prieur uses his theories to understand a community of vestidas,
>living in a world of mayates, jotas, tortillas, bugas, bisexuales, and
>heterosexuales. one of Prieur's interesting observations is how a local
>culture - in this case set in Mexico City - is threatened as well as
>marginalized through international media information from english-speaking
>north america as well as western europe, in which the 'proper' homosexual
>is presented as a white-middle-class-professionally educated 'gay' who
>looks quite mainstream.
>
> "Sometimes I can be anything; Power, gender and identity in a
>primary classroom" , Karen Gallas, 1998, Teachers College Press.
> Gallas as a teacher researcher follows her first and second grade
>students for two years (i think it's two years), documenting their
>multiple attempts and practices to appropriate social power through gender
>and identity constructions.
>
> "The invisibles; a tale of the eunuchs of India" - Zia Jaffrey,
>1996, Pantheon Press. not an academic text, like the Als' text, but
>still, a great topic on resistance - particularly through
>self-castration.
>
> Finally, Jose Limon's "Dancing with the devil" don't know the
>rest of the necessary data. but a great ethnography in which one outcome
>is how latina/mexican women in south texas use sightings of the devil as
>as form of resistance against male dominance . . . a great read.
>
> so, yes, Ricardo, homosexuality et. al. are great cultural
>constructions, and also, as Foucault has pointed out, arenas of
>contestation and resistance.
>
> and, i realize, Mike, that you wondered about forms of resistance
> [...]

"science does not vanquish mystery" Annie Dillard "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek"

Kathryn Alexander, email ...... kalexand who-is-at sfu.ca
Doctoral Candidate, FAX .........(604) 291 - 3203
=46aculty of Education, SFU(message).....(604) 291- 3395
Simon Fraser University,
Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6=09