Re: sexuality

Diane HODGES (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:14:36 -0800

At 0:07 4/15/99, Bruce Robinson wrote:

>>- actually Freud said as much, that everyone is basically bisexual,
>>sexuality moves on a continuum,
>> and society
>>pushes people to choose. indeed, Freud was one of the first to say that
>>society is fucked up, therefore we are.
>>diane
>

>Is that what he said?? If so, he was certainly not the first to say it.
>
>Bruce

one of the first to identify heterosexuality as a social construct;
and certainly the first to identify father-daughter incest as an
aberration of heterosexuality;

admittedly, he was baffled by lesbianism, but - well, like Katherine
Brown noted, as soon as women start getting involved, the men move on to
some other domain.

is there someone you are thinking of who was the 'first' to identify
heterosexuality as social?
diane

When she walks,
the revolution's coming.
In her hips, there's revolution.
When she talks, I hear revolution.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution.
(poem by Kathleen Hanna: Riot Grrl)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia
centre for the study of curriculum and knowledge
vancouver, british columbia, canada