Shif (Re: 2ND THOUGHTS)

Annego Strumphler (W.deVries who-is-at net.HCC.nl)
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:45:57 +0200

At 11:19 10-4-99 -0600, you wrote:
> does anyone know about the work of Zhozephina Shif? she worked
>with Vygotsky (p. 146, Thought & language - paperback).

Zjozephina Iljinitsjna Sjif (1904-1979) worked in the field of Soviet
defektology. She researched the development of thinking (thought) and
language in deaf, mentally retarded and normal children. According to the
defektological encyclopedija (Defektologiceskij slovar' 1970) her work
has been important for the special education for the deaf and mentally
retarded children in Russia.

Shif is probably best known outside defektology for her dissertation
research on scientific concepts which she did under the mentorship of
Vygotskij. Van de Veer and Valsiner (1991) give an account of Shifs
research p.271 vv.
Shifs dissertation was published in 1935: "The development of scientific
concepts (naucnich ponjatij) in children" with an introduction by Vygotskij.

During the long period of her work in defektology Shif edited several
volumes, one of which I have in German translation: "Besonderheiten
des geistigen Entwicklung von Hilfsschuelern", Volk und Wissen, Berlin,
1971. This book was writen for the teacher in the school for mentally
retarded children.

Anna Strumphler