Re: Modern Serbin

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:14:51 -0500

Women and Education in Sub-Saharan Africa
Bloch M.N., Beoku-Betts J., & Tabachnick B.R.
Boulder CO
Lynn Reinner Press
1998

The chapters I read dealt with primarily girls differentiation in the
classroom with both male and female teachers. While the research does not
focus on U.S, schools it explicitly focuses on student/teacher interaction
and the larger sociocultural context in relation to girls in school.

On the boys end of the spectrum Sue Ellis in an article titled "Changing
the Pattern" cites several studies in reference to gender in reading.

Julia Hodgeon 1984
ILEA Research and Statistics 1986/1988/1990
Lewisham Survey 1991

Sue Ellis' article focused more on gender differences in relation to
reading and the larger socicultural context rather than teacher/student
interactions. The article focuses on teacher's inclusive practices in
which the educational context is organized so both boys and girls have
access to reading. While the article's primary focus was boys, the article
approached gender dynamically and pointed out the inclusive practices made
reading more inclusive for both boys and girls eg. ESL girls.

Note: the article was part of a packet so no additional references were
attached.

Nate