Re: reading aloud

Micheal Erickson (mericks who-is-at ruralnet.net)
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:27:57 -0700

Nate,
What you describe is what happens when reading remediation is taught as a
strictly bottom up rather than a top down process. It boils down to the
idea of whether a reader is one who reads or one who is able to read.

Many of the developmental practitioners who teach learning to read
strategies rather than reading to learn enjoyment, themselves, are
non-readers. They don't read for enjoyment or even information if they are
not required. It doesn't have to be that way, but with the over-emphasis on
the prescriptive approach (medical model), the over-trained practitioners
focus only on the deficit and not on the language skills, linguistic
abilities and innate desire to learn that youngsters come to school with.
As Kozol once wrote--its a death at an early age. Sometimes, by
kindergarten the child's creativity and curiosity is killed. Some of us
learned to enjoy reading and learning in spite of them.

Hopefully, by example and sharing things in print and nonprint in which
your daughter is interested, you'll be able to ameliorate the damage that
has been caused by well meaning but benighted practitioners, who could not
see the words because of the syllables. They sort of got lost in the
orthography.

Michael E.