Re: Reading: silent or aloud

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:09:04 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BE7B6F.458234E0

Ilda,

The quote was more or less a connection between Vygotsky and the =
reference of the LCHC research. I do not necessarily disagree with you, =
but can we agree that assistance if it be reading aloud or instruction =
when it is no longer needed can be a deterrent to performance. For =
example, the finger thing (for reading not defiance) can be a way for a =
child to not lose his/her place on a given page, but it also can be a =
deterrent to reading when it is no longer needed. As was mentioned it =
can be more of a tool for social control that assisting reading =
performance.

The quote for me was understood in respect to a level of =
internalization of a more proficient reader in which reading aloud was =
at a slower rate than understanding or comprehension. I think we can =
both agree that the first year of schooling as being overly optimistic =
in which silent reading surpasses oral reading. At times I need to =
read something rather difficult by reading it aloud. This of course =
allows me to explicitly focus in a more deliberate fashion than I would =
normally. Other times that is not necessary and if I did read it aloud =
it would get in the way of understanding the text (thought -silent =
reading surpasses speech-oral reading by large degree). For me, it is a =
matter of assisting the students performance. For example having the =
child read orally and pointing serves that function, but both can also =
be a way of social control in which the practice has not adapted to the =
child's changing needs of assistance. =20

Also in reference to comprehension I am not sure how well I would do =
on a worksheet on, lets say, "Thinking and Speech". The assumption is =
that I probably understand or comprehend it because I am an adult, but =
if I was assessed in a similar fashion to how students are assessed I =
would definitely need to read it again. I am not sure if I believe in =
anything such as "development of reading" in which one does a-b-c etc. =
By believing it is not so much a questioning if such a thing exists, but =
rather if such a belief has any relevance.

Nate =20

----- Original Message -----=20