Re: some joint activity re contextless reading?

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:14:38 -0600

Eugene,

You may have misunderstood, I am not sure. My argument was more or less
appropriation, emphasis on every day knowledge, interests, etc. can be
internilation in disguise or worse yet internalization that is more
successful -cultural reproduction. The author I was referring to was Nick
Rose in his Death of the Social. Particularily the emphasis on community
etc as being in opposition to the social state. His argument or my
interpretation of it was the danger of this perception that community etc
as necessarily being oppositional. For class we read House's article as an
example of community being put into that oppositional space.

My point on resistance was more or less COL has the potential of making the
relationship between school and students to cozy in which resistance is
less likely. For me, its a warning to myself , because I like the
community of learning stuff, that it doesn't become a wolf in sheeps
clothing. I don't think this is in contradiction of your critique of
appropriation, but I may be wrong.

Nate