Re: some joint activity re contextless reading?

Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias who-is-at ibm.net)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:49:18 -0300

Well Ilda,

I do not know if you feel the same, as a portuguese speaker/reader, on=20
expressing ideas and thought in english. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT!

To me, it's easier read - or translate from english to portuguese -=20
than constrain my thought and express/comunicate them in english.
Do you feel the same?

It's something like we (portuguese speaker) need much more words than=20
them. And when we beguin cut them off form our thoughts they beguin=20
change completely because each language is a specifically way of=20
relationship with the environment/world.

If Luria and Vygotsky were wright, the use of words by speach makes the=20
thinking process radically different. And I deduce from this that=20
thinking in english is something very different than thinking in=20
portuguese, or russian or spanish etc

But, about Emilia Ferreiro (I'm not sure she is from Argentina or from=20
Mexico. I guess she is mexican) I think her proposal at all is very=20
interesting and usefull. She makes a critic and a distiction between=20
reading methods and writting ones (according to her, very common in=20
american educational thought) and proposes her 'holistc' one. And in=20
help of her arguments she uses the results of her researches that=20
are usefull to prove it is possible apply them sucsessfully all around=20
the world.

In her first book 'Psychogenesis of Written Language' (Psicog=EAnese da=20
lingua escrita) she refers to Vygotsky at the last chapiter. But only=20
mentions him without an exaustiv approach of his cultural-historical=20
theory. (We must have in mind that she was beeing adviser by nobody else=20
than Piaget... and there was, and there is, a certain illness=20
["mal-estar", in portuguese] on "inviting them to the same party")

So, all her pre-history of written language is very, very close to=20
Luria's and Vygotsky's. People here, in every convention she had been=20
present as speaker asks some space to speak and than acuse her of taking=20
his ideas without mention it. Such 'ideological police' constrained her=20
in order to write an article, in which she explains she did not know=20
about cultural russian psychology scholl descoveries when she conceives=20
her pre-history of written language... ( I ask you "How to believe?")
In this article she try to explain the differences between her=20
approach and Vygotsky/Luria's one.

Well, I guess I wrote too much. I'm not sure that what was written=20
above is what you had asked me to talk about.

Ax=E9!

=20