Re: Re(2): another side of LSV and Context

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:26:03 -0600

Gordon,

This is one of Vygotsky's first if not his first book. It does offer a nice
contrast; especially sense he was operating in more of a behaviorist
framework. For example he referred to the environment as a stimulus in a
stimulus-response framework. I think its safe to say it was written within
the progressive tradition rather than cultural-historical. I personally
read the book as Vygotsky more in the idealistic of his youth. The
alternative university that he attended was known for its progressive
ideas. My understanding it was more of an attempt to give the best
knowledge of educational practice at the time.

Educational Psychology
by L. S. Vygotsky, V. V. Davydov (Introduction), Robert Silverman
(Translator)
St. Lucie Press
1878205153

Synopsis
Published in English for the first time, this classic work, completed in
1926, is a rare find. Often referenced but rarely seen outside of excerpts
in Russian publication, the well-written and highly opinionated text
presents readers with a historical trek through the mind of one of the
world's most foremost psychological thinkers of the 20th century.

Its $13 at Amazon which may be one of the only places it can be found.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1878205153/natewebA/002-9377079-49
44828

Nate