[Fwd: Fwd: Hooked On Phonics Signs Multi-Year, Multi-Million Dollar...]

Ken Goodman (kgoodman who-is-at u.arizona.edu)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:16:16 -0700

For your information. This perhaps best illustrates how economic and
political power is being used to mandate teaching and learning in
literacy education. Hooked on Phonics went into bankruptcy after being
forced by the Federal Trade Commission without making unwarranted claims
about the programs success to consumer. Under new management it is
riding the crest of the power game, reaching into homes (where it is
marketed) through the many arms of AOL.
I would urge all AOL users to switch to over carriers- not only to
protest this raw use of power but to avoid being inundated through the
net. AOL owns Compuserve and recently bought netscape.
Ken Goodman

--
Kenneth S. Goodman, Professor, Language, Reading & Culture
504 College of Education, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ

These are mean times- and in the mean time We need to Learn to Live Under Water