Re: another side of LSV and Context

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:16:28 -0600

I found an interesting grid in Hayrynen article page 119 from Perspectives
in Activity Theory. The grid was from Riegel (1979) Psychology Mon Amour.

Individual

Passive Active

Passive "Locke" "Piaget"

Active "Skinner" "Marx"

Environment

Riegal put Vygotsky in the Skinner grid in which he saw a active
environment and a passive child. The active individual and active
environment (Marx) was seen as enactment and agency dialectic. Riegal
defined enactive as action that creates new conditions for live within
society. Besides Marx, Rubinstein, was seen in this grid in which the
human act changes not only the world but the actor as well. As with
Charles message I see Vygotsky much closer to the Marx grid than Skinner
with the Skinner classification focusing on his emphasis on
internalization. Lektorsky from the same volume argues, "I would like to
stress that according to Vygotsky, human activity presupposes not only the
process of internalization, but also the process of externalization."

Would the active environment have something to do with seeing Vygotsky as a
contextualist, and if so would Skinner be one. If I rember correctly from
Vygotsky he critiqued Skinner for his doubt of general transferabilities in
education. Personally when I think of contextualist Skinner does not come
to mind, but it was his context based approach to education that Vygotsky
questioned in regard to scientific concepts transferring to other areas.

Nate