Re: phonics and context

Daniel F Webster (websterd who-is-at U.Arizona.EDU)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:05:50 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Mike Cole wrote:

> Hi Ilda--
>
> (Dr Ilda!):
>
> You write:
> I do not believe that a phonics approach
> leads to decontextalized instruction. That is way too simplistic.
>
> If I understand Ken correctly, he is saying that just the "way too
> simplistic" manner of dealing with decoding is being institutionalized
> in California.
>
> Is he wrong?
> mike

All:
Having heard Ken address this subject in-depth on a number of
occasions, both personally through lectures and through non-xmca e-mail, I
would say Mike is right on point. Folks might be interested in reading
the following reference:

Wieler, S. (1985). The Fallacy of Decontextualization. English Quarterly,
17(1), 19-31.

It makes some interesting points about the construction of, or what
constitutes, context.

+ Dan +

( Daniel Frank Webster, PhD, Project Coordinator )
( DISCOVER Project, College of Education )
( University of Arizona )
( email: websterd who-is-at u.arizona.edu )
( home page: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~websterd )
( Office: (520) 621-6926 Pager: (520) 291-3822 )
( Home: (520) 326-6771 FAX: (520) 621-3821 )