Re: Faust, silence, how to unsubcribe?

Dr. PedroR. Portes (prport01 who-is-at athena.louisville.edu)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:36:38 -0500

Nate, Jay (where r u?) et al,;

To somewhat break this occasionally delightful silence, all I can say is
that I could not agree more with Nate's last note. Thanks, I found it
helpul and most reasonable, we seem to agree for the most part. I don't
believe in end points either, it seems more like an infinite relativism in
positioning etc.

I'm working on an upcoming CHAT symp for AERA on the policy implications of
Hart & Risley's B.O.O.K re. group differences in early language
socialization patterns.
Policy implications of course concern the potential inculcation of middle
class language patterns on children in poverty as perhaps an artificial
means, and questionable strategy in terms of whether it can be successful
"in the end". To do so is hegemonic coercion as one critic notes? The
alternative can't be "don't do anything" but perhaps don't do it unles it
can be done consciously, collaboratively etc..
I'll send you what I've got when I clean it up some more..

(I always get paranoid about the silence, especially when it follows my
posts, and occurred it has)

For the person who wishes to unsubscribe, try getting directions from our
website or write to xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu and type "unsubscribe" on the
subject line, then write your email on the text.

Sunny & warm at last here, pedro