Re: originality

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:47:41 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Cole <mcole who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sunday, March 07, 1999 9:25 PM
Subject: originality

>Nate writes:
>
>Vygotsky like Lewin can be put in a box of taking other's ideas.
>
>Nate-- Just to help me out a little in this discussion. Could you provide
>me with an example of someone for whom this is not true? Personally,
> I have never encountered such a person.
>mike

Me, neither. In a round about sort of way that was the point I was making.
The reference was to Vygotsky could be critiqued in much the same way as
Lewin, but that doesn't tell the whole story. There were parts in Van Der
Veer and Valsiner's book on Vygotsky that gave me the impression that he
just took a bag of other's ideas to create his theory. Vygotsky like
anyone else can be reduced to internalization of other's ideas, without
looking at the externalization that followed. I think there is always both
internalization/externalization but that relationship changes depending on
the individual-context. For example, Wertsch's reference to Shakespear as
merely utilizing others work. While there certainly doesn't exist an
individual whose work is totally unique, it is possible as in Shakespear of
one whose ideas are just others.