Re(2): like a Jeopardy question

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 19:43:56 -0700

Mary Bryson writes:
>I am assuming that just walking into a room changes what's happening
>there,
>and so any social science research is of necessity always already changing
>something as it envisions itslef attempting to understand it. I think this
>quote is about being reflexive concerning the fact that one *is* always
>having an efffect. I have been looking to see how far this idea will talk
>me in thinking about "gender", because it has struck me on numerous
>occasions, like if I happen to get my hair cut just a bit too short, that
>learn lots about gender that day, or week.

this dance between observation and intervention is a major parodox for me
as i am now in the throes of collecting data in an elementary classroom,
and as a mother, aunt, and adult friend of children who are exploring
their gender options (and many others).

if i encourage a girl to stand up for herself, push her way up to the
computer, to take hold of the mouse, and make decisions for herself, i can
not avoid the images of the socially rejected, unpopular, smart girl
crying and feeling the pain of that rejection.

how can i say i am "only observing" or "only asking questions" or "only
trying to understand" or - most tempting and horrifying - "only trying to
make life better for girls?"

kathie

start all over.
start all over.
we need to make new symbols,
make new signs,
make a new language,
with these we'll redefine the world
and start all over.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^tracy chapman:new beginning
Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ceo.cudenver.edu/~katherine_goff/index.html