Re: like a Jeopardy question

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:15:09 -0600

An interesting connection with Dewey is in 1928 he visited child
colonies of "orphans" and "refugees" in which Vygotsky was in a
leadership position (Defectology). I think its Van Der Veer &
Valsiner who mention Dewey was there because the Russian
liberals before the revolution had implemented many his ideas on
progressive education with a Russsian twist, which is turn
affected his thinking own on progressive education. I was
recently told there is evidence in the Dewey archives that Dewey
and Vygotsky did meet in 1928.

Vygotsky like Lewin can be put in a box of taking other's ideas.
For example Vygotsky attributed the ZPD to McCarthy, an
American, the cultural law of development to Janet, lower and
higher mental processes to Darwin and Durkheim's, and the unity
of affect/intellect to Lewin and the Gestalt psychologists.
This was the feeling I got from reading Van Der Veer & Valsiner,
but it only tells half the story. Gal'perin I believe, argued
Vygotsky verged on almost a pathology in that looking at a
picture he could only see the meaning - 4 sides, colors - but no
personal or cultural sense. But if he was asked to describe the
picture to another he noticed all these details that no one else
could see.
For example, the only thing McCarthy demonstrated was that
children who were reared in adult speech environments had better
speech patterns than children in child-child speech enviroments
(daycare centers), but Vygotsky saw this as the broad concept of
the Zone of Prozimal Development. I think at least for
Vygotsky, he saw things in others ideas that they never saw
themselves.

Nate