Re: like a Jeopardy question

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 16:47:46 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01BE67F1.0FB12740

Hi Mary--

I remember reading Lenin on why Marxism is so powerful. Besides propaganda
statements like "Marx's theory is powerful because it is true," he made a
point that before Marx, philosophers tried only to explain the reality while
Marx demonstrated that in order to understand the reality people have to
change it (or something like that). Let me know if you need the reference
and I'll ask Russian immigrants for title of Lenin's work (it seems to me
that the title was something like (in my translation from Russian), "The
three sources, the three aspects of Marxism")

My own suspicion is that the point that "If you want to really understand
something, you have to try to change it" probably goes back to Marx or Hegel
or even further in the history of the philosophy. But maybe Lenin invented
it.

Eugene
PS What is the Jeopardy price? :-) I couldn't believe that I can cash on my
waste of time of sitting on very-very boring lectures on "Scientific
Communism" in the former Soviet Union!