Re: ontogeny/cultural history

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Sat, 06 Mar 1999 22:13:04 +1100

At 06:10 05-03-99 -0800, you wrote:

>Yrjo and I have been discussing studies that look at the interaction between
>cultural history and ontogeny where cultural history refers to histories of
>particular institutions within a society. I know of a couple of ready-to-mind
>examples, but wonder if others can suggest other places to look.

Rick Iedema (UNSW) has done extensive studies in the area of health
administration and the processes and relationships that occur within the
institutions responsible for this important area of our society. He has
some excellent insights to offer.

Personally, I don't know that any generalisations can be made about such
things other than that the interactions are historically, spatially, and
materially specific. It seems to me that cultures (and their institutions)
are both an emergent property of, and the dynamic context for,
co-ontogenous interactions. Further, I think they have entirely different
properties from those of the individuals who interact to produce them. Kind
of like oxygen, hydrogen, and "wateriness".

If you want some refs to Rick's work, I'll get them on Monday. Let me know.

>A question hurled into what some on xmca perceive as silence! :-)

D'you mean me? My xmca messages stopped for two days, which is unusual. I
think I actually got lonely. :-)

Phil

Phil Graham
p.graham who-is-at qut.edu.au