Re: boundary objects and evaluation, aka portfolios

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:43:19 -0500

Hi Jay and everybody--

Jay, I certainty agree with all what you said. I have only one small
comment coming from your statement:

>In a way, then, I am arguing for a kind of democratic progress in the move
>from holistic essays to item-by-item testing to portfolio assessment.

I just what to have a further movement and not a stop at portfolio
assessment... :-)

I really like that portfolio assessment highlight its subjectivity and lack
of reliability (i.e., negotiation character). With grades and tests this
feature of divorced assessments is less noticeable. I like to push this
"crisis" of the assessment reliability even further.

Take care and thanks for your very thoughtful and helpful (as usual!)
elaboration.

Eugene