RE: Portfolio Assessment

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:27:09 -0500

Hi Bonnie and everybody--

Thanks for sharing your research about artistic portfolio. I found
interesting that you talk about collaboration between artist and prospective
clients. There are at least two interesting aspects: artist participation
in negotiation of meaning of portfolio and discursive character of
negotiation. This is very different from practice of use of portfolio in
schools. Students are not often involved in helping other stakeholders
making sense of their work. Also they don't have "the last say" on what
will be in portfolio. Artistic portfolio represents artist's best work from
the artist's point of view, right. Not so for student's portfolio.

The implications are that portfolio become very different boundary objects
in art practices and in school especially regarding issue of power, agency,
and ownership. This is very interesting!

What do you think?

Eugene