RE: Popkewitz paper precis

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:07:10 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BE5F46.912DCD40

Hi Bill and everybody--

Thanks a lot, Bill, for your great summary of Tom Popkewitz' work! I found
Tom's critique of constructivism (or better to say, some of its versions)
very powerful. I also share Nate's observations on the Holmes project (this
is my first year of participating in it).

I think that institutional control is not being challenge by these
"prescriptive" or "methodological" forms of constructivism. It is
interesting to do a sociological and enthographic analysis of constructivism
movement (something like Latour did with science). From a conceptual point
of view, I see several major problems with the described constructivism:

1) Separation of method of teaching from its content. Many professors who
teach constructivism do not use it as form of their own teaching. For
example, many of those who preach teachers to use portfolio method of
learning assessment do not do it themselves. Those who do, often do not
make it a part of communication with other professors as it supposed to
according to constructivist theories. I asked who uses portfolio assessment
as a way of communication of their students' learning to other professors on
the recent Holmes project meeting at Boston and found that nobody does that
(or at least nobody said that he or she does it). (I'm myself against
portfolio assessment, but it is another story).

2) Peaceful co-existence of constructivist practices and traditional
educational institutions. It is often constructivism that is co-opted by a
traditional institutional control and reduced to another "teaching method"
serving the same old institutional goals of control and
transmission/reproduction of dominant culture. Constructivism pushed to its
authentic limits is risky business or, as Louis Holzman would say,
"revolutionary practice," confronting, transcending, and destroying
traditional ed. institutions. Safe constructivism meeting somebody's
"standards" is a contradiction of terms and another, smarter, version of
institutional coercion like "team management." It is scary to do this type
of constructivism -- hey, I'm untenured and have a family!

3) In the theory of the zone of proximal development, the teacher's zone of
proximal development is rarely (with exception of Mike Cole and his
colleagues) considered as a part of student's zone of proximal development.
Teacher's zone of proximal development is guided by the students. The
notion of development itself is often taken as non-problematic, i.e.,
existing "out there" rather as being a social construction, like history (as
Diane so nicely described). Authentic or "critical" constructivism, unlike
"prescriptive" constructivism, considers a negotiation of what is
development (i.e., value systems) as open and legitimate for all members of
the community.

4) Prescriptive constructivism is often ahistorical. It simply is not
interested in history (or in sociology) but in a better way of teaching for
a better cause. In my view, this is already a way of monopolizing
negotiation of the value system.

5) My $69.99 question is whether prescriptive constructivism is erosion of
traditional system or its new form or both?

Although I appreciate very much what John (Dewey) and Lev (Vygotsky) did for
us, I agree with Tom's critique of them. I also agree with Nate that both
John and Lev probably worked for socio-cultural-historical projects (in
Jean-Paul Sartre' terms) different than we do (what are they?). Do not
forget, please, that Lev Vygotsky proposed his concept of the "zone of
proximal development" as a more accurate (than IQ) intelligence test for
better tracking kids in (trad.) schools. Yes, we have done a big job of
reinterpreting!

What do you think?

Eugene
----------------------
Eugene Matusov
School of Education
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716
Office (302) 831-1266
Fax (302) 831-4445
email ematusov who-is-at udel.edu
Website http://ematusov.eds.udel.edu/
-------------------------

filename="Eugene Matusov.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Matusov;Eugene;;
FN:Eugene Matusov
ORG:University of Delaware;School of Education
TITLE:Assistant Professor
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(302) 831-1266
TEL;VOICE:
TEL;WORK;FAX:(302) 831-4445
ADR;WORK:;Willard Hall 206D;School of Education;Newark;DE;19716
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Willard Hall 206D=3D0D=3D0ASchool =
of Education=3D0D=3D0ANewark, DE 19716
URL:http://ematusov.eds.udel.edu
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:ematusov who-is-at udel.edu
EMAIL;INTERNET:ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu
REV:19981117T191644Z
END:VCARD

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BE5F46.912DCD40--