Re: Left-handers and learning

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:40:04 +1100

Anythony Scott wrote:

>And what about some Pacific Islanders who are
>> equally comfortable reading or writing in all four directions?

Matt does this!!! His mum is of Fijian descent and she can understand it,
whichever direction he chooses to write from/in/to!! I sure as hell can't.
Incredible. He writes from the bottom up, in rows from left to right and
backwards, and sometimes, in symmetrical blocks with the words broken up in
bits and stuck on different lines.

He's in a class of 18, about 1/3 of whom are left-handed. I've started
asking questions of left-handed parents and there are many similar
experiences among our children, like wanting to open a book at the back,
perfect mirror-image writing from right to left, stuff like that. Of
course, there are many divergences also.

Strange stuff.

Phil
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html